Skip to main content

Travel Tuesday - Weather



 Thinking back, I have only had a couple of times when weather changed my travel plans.  A few years ago I was scheduled to fly to California one January, and the weather looked a lot like this that morning, the airline rescheduled me for the next day, and I missed a night in a hotel on the beach.  One fall I was flying to Florida, and a hurricane was  coming up the east coast, it had passed Florida, and was headed north.  I called the airline and asked if I could get out before the storm arrived here. The initial answer was no, then I reasoned with the reservations desk, if I wait 12 hours, the flight from here will be cancelled because of the weather, if you can get me out now, you get the revenue.  "Let me check with a supervisor!" A minute later the answer was yes, along with a "thank you we just changed the policy on changes, and by the way, I moved you into business class for the flight out." Sometimes it pays to ask nicely.  

This is what Monday looked like.  The first snow of the season.  The most snow we have had in a couple of years. It has been a while since we have seen 5 or 6 inches around here. I had another Travel Tuesday post planned, you will see it in a few weeks.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Way We Wednesday - Self-Timer Selfies

My oldest brother had a low draft lottery number, so he enlisted in the Navy the year he finished high school.  After basic training, he was assigned to the Aircraft Carrier Enterprise (now decommissioned and the last I knew it was being dismantled.) Someplace in southeast Asia he bought a Canon Ftb, a nice 35MM SLR. There was also a tripod, the gray zippered case above their arms is the case for the tripod. Looking at this it was taken with the camera on the tripod, and either a cable release or the self timer,  I suspect the self timer as Dale is almost blurred from having tripped the timer and rushed back to be in the picture.  This would have been taken in one of the crew living areas on the ship.  I think Dale only took a couple of rolls of film on the camera, this roll of slides ended up with dad's meaning it was probably in the camera when Dale came home on leave, and somehow Dad ended up keeping the camera.  Dad gave it to me a few years b...

The Sunday Five - Books

  J.P Morgan had a spectacular private library, which raised questions for me, all of the inspriration I need for this weeks Sunday five. 1: Are there books you have multiple copies or editions of?  2: Have you ever stood in line to buy a first edition on the day it was released?  3: Do you buy books just to own them, or only to read them?  4: Have you read 90% or more of the books you own?  5: Do you have an active library card?  My Answers: 1: Are there books you have multiple copies or editions of? No longer, I did at one time, but we have downsized.  2: Have you ever stood in line to buy a first edition on the day it was released? Yes, Harry Potter books.  3: Do you buy books just to own them, or only to read them? Almost always to read.  4: Have you read 90% or more of the books you own? Yes. Probably more than 95%.  5: Do you have an active library card? No, I should do something about that. Please share your answers in the comment...

The Way We Were Wednesday - Flossy

This is my grandmother's youngest sister Florence, or as she was known Flossy.  The only one of the four siblings who was born in the United States, most likely New York.  She was married to an executive with US Rubber Company, better known as Uniroyal.  Richard, or Dick as he was known was a nice guy, kind of high strung and a hopeless alcoholic.  At one point the doctors recommended a change of scene hoping that he would stay dried out.  After consultation with his bosses at Uniroyal, they sent him on a two year assignment in Scotland, a change of scene, and a change from beer (and lots of it) to Scotch Whiskey, and endless thirst for the good stuff.  A couple of years after he returned from that assignment, the company arranged for him to start drawing a pension and changed the locks on his office door.  The doctors gave up on a detox plan, and he agreed to a drinking schedule, kind of a medication plan (this was in the late 1960's ea...