The Way We Were Wednesday - Phoenix




 The first time my parents tried snowbirding, (aka going to a warmer climate for the long cold winter) I was in the first grade - we went to Phoenix Arizona for the winter.  It was an academic disaster, for a couple of the four children, and the following couple of seasons on the farm were not the most successful, and it was decided to not do that again until my brothers were finished with school.  In the middle 1980's, a good 20 years after that winter, I went to Phoenix for a conference and workshop.  I found the school, someplace I have my report cards.  The teacher I had that winter, had recently retired, with about 30 years of teaching.  This is the outdoor hallway, overlooking the playing field, room 37 was where I went to part of the first grade, one of the times. 

My memories of school that winter? Walking to school, the smell of the air, finger painting, and a school nurse.  

Comments